What You Should Know Before Hiring A Sri Lankan Maid in Singapore
Hiring a Sri Lankan Maid can sometimes be a daunting task, especially for Singaporeans who have never done this before. The Ministry of Manpower in Singapore has tried to facilitate the employment of foreign domestic workers through a number of guidelines. This has made it easier even for the first-time employers to find a good Sri Lankan maid in Singapore without the hassle that may often come with such a process.
However, there are still a few FAQs about hiring FDWs that you need to know about. These will help you learn more about the process of hiring a maid and what you need to do.
Common FAQs in Hiring FDWs in Singapore
Commonly asked questions often come from a place of curiosity. It’s a case of someone wanting to know more about something. FAQs offer a good learning opportunity and here are some of the major ones:
- Can the FDW work for another employer or in a different occupation? - No, this is not possible. According to the guidelines of the Ministry of Manpower, an FDW can only work as a domestic worker. She should not engage in any other type of employment even in her rest days. It’s also illegal to have an FDW work for another employer. The domestic workers must offer their services only to the person who hired them in the first place. There’s no exception to this rule.
- Should I provide a rest day for my FDW? – It’s mandatory to have at least one rest day per week for the FDW. If you want the Sri Lankan maid to work on their rest days, this should be based on a mutual agreement. A full day’s salary must be compensated on top of the monthly salary for the rest day worked.
- How often should I pay my FDW? - Preferably once a month. Guidelines from the Ministry of Manpower mandate that all FDWs must be paid not later than seven days since the last day of her salary period. For example, if the salary period for your FDW is between 1st April and 31st April, she must receive her dues latest on May 7th.
- Can I make deductions on my FDW’s Salary – It’s mandatory to pay your FDW the full salary as agreed. All other medical, accommodation, and food expenses should be paid from your own pocket. You must never deduct the FDW’s salary for any broken utensils at home. You should never deduct the FDW’s salary as penalty for non performance. She must get her pay in full.
The Responsibilities of the Employer
As an employer, there are a few important responsibilities that you must fulfill for your Sri Lankan maid:
- It’s your job to provide proper upkeep for your FDW including proper medical and dental care.
- The salary of the FDW must be released promptly.
- You must provide medical cover for your FDW and medical treatment when needed. It does not have to be work related.
- The FDW is entitled to a rest day and it’s the responsibility of the employer to grant this.
- It’s your responsibility to ensure safe and comfortable working conditions for your FDW.
When employment ends for the FDW, it’s your job as an employer to organize for her return to the country of origin. You will also be required to take care of the plane ticket back.
Understanding your responsibilities as an employer is important in facilitating a good working environment for your Sri Lankan maid. You should visit SearchMaids.com to learn more about hiring foreign domestic workers.
|Agency Fee for a New Myanmarese Maids||$888.00|
|Agency Fee for an Experienced Sri Lankan Maids||$988.00|
|Work Permit Application 1st Medical Checkup and X-ray Sri Lanka EC Processing Transportation E-Issue to MOM||$30 $60 $200 $80 $30|
|Settling-in Program (SIP)||$75 for New; $0 for Experienced|
|Replacement – 6 months (Excluding Sri Lanka EC Processing, SIP, and Insurance & BG)||UNLIMITED ($400 Processing for Each Replacement)|
|Accident and Hospitalization Insurance Plus Banker's Guarantee of $5,000 (Non-Transferable)||$246.10|
|Optional – Indemnity Insurance Excess $250||$53.50|
|TOTAL FEE FOR NEW Sri Lankan Maid||$1,662.60|
|TOTAL FEE FOR EXPERIENCED Sri Lankan Maid||$1,687.60|
*Fees for Transfer Sri Lankan Maid
|Work Permit Application||$30|
|E-Issue to MOM||$30|
|Replacement – 6 months (Excluding SIP and Insurance and BG)||UNLIMITED ($60 Processing Fee per Replacement)|
|Accident and Hospitalization Plus Banker's Guarantee of $5,000 (Non-Transferable)||$246.10|
|Optional – Indemnity Insurance Excess $250||$533.50|
|TOTAL FEE FOR TRANSFER Sri Lankan Maid||$1,857.60|